Sunday, November 7, 2010

Safety or privacy? It's your choice.. or is it?

I will start by talking about my favorite television program. It's called Spooks and is on ABC1. If you love a thriller, what this! Well anyway long story short Spooks is about the British department of intelligence mainly MI5. In this program when finding the 'bad guy' they use face recognition and camera surveillance that is set up pretty much in every corner of London to find someone. It's amazing. And this technology isn't just in the TV shows, it’s happening right now in our very own city of Melbourne. Go and walk around, and take notice of how many surveillance cameras you see. Every street, shop, parking lot there is a camera, looking down, watching your every movement. 
The city of Melbourne has a page on its website specifically providing information on its "safe city camera program” saying that the reason for all the surveillance is to reduce crime rate and to deter potential offenders. "http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/CommunityServices/CommunitySafety/Pages/SafeCitycameras.aspx"
The city of Melbourne has 54 of these closed circuit cameras in place that operate 24/7.
Frankly, I see no issue in this. I'm not committing any crimes so I don't mind that my best interest is being looked out for me. The city is a dangerous place at night so I will take anything that will further my protection. 
The con of survelerlance cameras.. Well only con is if you’re a thief, murderer, someone dodging insurance companies for injury claims, or your a cheating husband or wife, as chances are that you will get caught!

So for me, I will take the safety option over privacy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment